Saturday, May 3, 2014

Fawn Fest

* * *

The camera trap has been out in this spot since mid-April, the same week Pam and I camped at Steep Ravine. Seems like a lifetime ago. The camera was just far enough from the trailhead that I haven't felt like making the hike to pick it up. I had put the camera in this spot once before, just for a day, and caught a buck. This time it was all doe deer -- the adults, that is.

Kind of funny to have caught a coyote out for a mid-day stroll on a Saturday. Every image from April 18 to the day I picked up the camera on May 3 was captured in daylight. This was an obvious animal trail, but I was surprised to see that it was used only in the daytime.

I only caught the coyote once, and I only caught the jackrabbit once -- on Easter Sunday.

Although the camera caught deer almost every day, it only captured the star attraction twice.

I don't believe I have ever been able to photograph spotted fawns on Mt. Tam in the usual way [oops, see below], and in fact I'm not sure I've gotten a good look at such a young fawn since I saw a bobcat pounce on one back in the early '90s. (The fawn screamed; its mother rushed to its aid and chased the bobcat up a nearby Douglas fir tree.)

The camera just barely caught one more fawn, in only one frame, as it leaped toward the safety of the nearby chaparral and forest.

I was going to place the camera in one last location (as far as this blog is concerned), but I finally got the "battery low" warning for the first time since I first put the camera out, back in October, so I brought the camera home.

Just looking over some older pix, I found this shot of spotted fawns from May 21, 2010.

* * *


  1. First fawn photo for me. Thanks for sharing that. Soon we will be crawling with the little rascals but good to seem them on some of their first steps.

    1. I'm not sure I could ever get tired of seeing the little rascals, but then again there's no horticulture (or at least very little; I have seen a caged baby redwood) to protect up there.